November and December have become popular months for anglers to head to the Gulf to target Big Bull reds. If you haven’t done this yet, put it on your priority list, and follow some of these tips:
1) Gulf water is usually murky, making it hard to see even 30lb redfish. Pay close attention to the edges of sand bars and water less than 2ft deep, as this is the easiest places to see these fish.
Watch this video to see a close-to 30lb redfish eat in murky water!
2) Don’t expect to be making many long casts. With the colored water most of your shots will be with large flies and at distances less than 20ft, making it essential to use a line with a short front taper, like RIO’s Winter Redfish line.
3) Big reds generally don’t like fast stripped flies, so make smooth, even strips of around 18″ to 2′ in length.
4) A powerful, stiff leader with a heavy butt section is needed to turn over the large flies used in winter months for big Reds. RIO’s Redfish/SeaTrout leader is ideal.
5) The best fly for big reds has a large profile, heavy eyes to get down fast, and lots of life and flash to help fish see the fly in the murky water. RIO’s Hopedale Crab is the deadliest fly we have created for big bulls and black drum.
In case you missed it…
This link to the previous RIO Fly Fishing Tip shows when, why and how you would throw a downstream mend into the line when river fishing. Enjoy.
RIO Products | 5050 South Yellowstone Highway, Idaho Falls, ID 83402 USA
Tel.: +1 208-524-7760 | +1 800-553-0838
Also look at: