The 2018 Florida Fly Fishing Expo in Crystal River on February 9-10 has scheduled legendary Florida Keys guide Steve Huff to show and tell some of his secrets for catching giant permit, tarpon, snook and other trophy gamefish on a fly rod.
Huff, who has been described as “the top fly fishing guide on the planet,” tops a schedule of more than 20 expert-led seminars and new fly fishing product displays at Plantation on Crystal River on Florida’s west coast. Admission to the two-day expo is $25 but free for those 12 and younger when accompanied by an adult. The Florida Fly Fishing Expo is put on annually by the Florida Council of Fly Fishers International. President Tom Gadacz said, “We are so pleased to have Steve Huff coming to the Expo. This guy has a bank-vault of knowledge about catching big fish on the fly and he’ll share some hard-earned insights.
He pioneered fly fishing for tarpon, permit and snook in the Keys and also led clients to IGFA record tarpon near Crystal River and Homosassa. Sandy Moret, his good friend and a fellow fly fisher, once described Huff as “without question, the top fly fishing guide on the planet.” On Friday, Feb. 9, Huff will present a tutorial about how to locate and catch permit on the fly. On Saturday he will discuss the importance of and how to make quick fly casts in all directions. As the featured speaker at the Expo’s closing banquet on SaturdayHuff will share insights he has learned from 50-years of guiding fly fishers to saltwater trophy gamefish.
More than 20 other sessions about how-to fly fish, fly cast and tie flies are scheduled indoors and outdoors at the spacious, waterfront resort of Plantation on Crystal River. They include:
– Fly Fishing for snook at night by Capt. Rick Grassett
– Paddleboard fly-fishing by David Olson.
– Fly casting tutorial for women by Mona Brewer, youth fly casting by David Lambert, emergency casting clinic by Pat Damico, and casting games led by John Hand and Jim Patchet.
– Beginner and intermediate fly casting demonstrations by Capt. Pete Greenan.
– Fly fishing for warm water fishes in North Florida by Tom Logan
– Wading the flats by Leigh West.
– History of women in fly fishing by Jen Ripple.
– DIY bonefishing in the Keys and Bahamas by Capt. Bryon Chamberlin.
– Fishing Mosquito Lagoon secrets by Capt. Frank Cantino.
– Fly fishing for baby tarpon in the Indian River Lagoon by Capt. Eric Davis.
– Effortless fly casting by Joe Mahler.
– Fly fishing the Everglades by Ed Tamson.
– Fly tying with synthetics by Dave Schmezer.